*Vétérinaire en chef,
Direction centrale du service de santé des armées – Bureau « activités vétérinaires », 60 Boulevard du général Martial Valin – CS 21 623 – 75509 PARIS Cedex 15
** Vétérinaire en chef,
Cellule qualité vétérinaire, Inspection technique des services vétérinaires des armées Ilôt du Val-de-Grâce, 1 place Alphonse Laveran – 75230 Paris Cedex 05
This article presents the successive developments of the military uniforms of Army veterinary officers, from their creation in 1769 up to 1914. Initially, veterinarians wore the uniform of their unit of assignment adorned with the insignia of “maréchal des logis” (rank of sergeant). Later, in 1812, they received a distinct uniform that will know numerous modifications, from the shape and colour to the specific rank insignia. The evolution of the veterinary officers uniform highlights their rise within the military hierarchy, from lowly sergeant to the rank of General Officer, reached in 1913 with the appointment of a Veterinary Inspector position. This second part covers the period going from 1843 to 1882.
Bull.soc.fr.hist.méd.sci.vét., 2017, 17 : 187-216